Saturday, June 6, 2009

Scams around the world

One of the fun aspects of travelling widely is learning about the various creative scams that people try around the world. A popular one in India is where a taxi driver is in cahoots with certain shops or hotels, and so will dissuade you from other options. By taking you to one of his ‘choice’ options – which may not necessarily be what is best for you – he receives his tidy commission. I’m sure everyone can describe their own favorite.

Oftentimes, discovery of a local scam is a result of falling victim to said scam and then, later on, having that “ah ha!” moment – when you realize you’ve been had. Sometimes however, you can be either smart or lucky enough to catch the would-be scam artist red-handed, so making him look the foolish one. This is what happened to me today.

I was sitting, sipping a coffee in one of Nairobi’s upmarket shopping malls – you know, the type where all the well-to-do, tourists and expats hang-out – when my eyes momentarily met with the searching eyes of some guy walking past. Immediately he gives me a nod-smile and starts walking my way. I smile and try going back to my paper, but he’s already in front of me with an outstretched hand. So we shake hands, and he beams, “Hello sir, how are you?”

Hesitant: “I’m fine thank you.”

Very chirpy: “Do you recognize me?”

Now, this was the crucial moment. In such a situation sometimes I’m inclined to go with a “Oh yeah, of course…” and hope that some hint might offer itself before too long as to how exactly I know this person, if at all. This time, however, I must have been in a less tolerant mood, so without a second’s hesitation, I stated, “No, I don’t sorry.”

He seemed a little taken aback, but was nonetheless prepared for this answer. “I am the gateman Sir, remember? I was at the gate and I did…” – and here he made the ‘salute’ gesture – “… to you.” And so I figured out what he was after: a tip for alleged gate-keeping services provided.

“No, I’m sorry, I don’t remember. Where?”

“At the building, Sir, I was the man who was there…” – and again the ‘salute’ gesture – “… when you kept going in and out.”

“Which building?”

Now he was truly taken aback. “Err… you remember, Sir, last week. I was there.”

“Where? Which building?”

“Which building?”

“Yes, which building?”

What came out of his mouth next was not very clear. He rattled off the names of some half-a-dozen buildings, either made-up or genuine I don’t know. But he knew the game was up. I smiled and said, “I’ve never even heard of those buildings. I’m sorry, you’ve got the wrong person.”

He smiled, clearly frustrated his scheme didn’t work, and moved on. I watched him for a bit. Of course, he didn’t try it on anyone near where I was sitting or I would know for sure. But I also wanted to see him try with someone else, just to satisfy myself that it was a scam and that I hadn’t brushed someone off who I was meant to recognize. So I kept watching and, yes, just before he turned the corner, I saw him do the same nod-wave and walk towards some well-dressed businessman.

Do you have a favorite travel scam story? Did you fall victim? Or did you catch the scam artist? Add your stories here.

3 comments:

  1. I normally walked from my office at Rockefellar Center to the 33rd Street Subway Station in Manhattan. Last winter, at Bryant Park, this well dressed south asian guy stopped me and introduced himself to me. He immediately started talking in desi (Hindi/Urdu) language and told he lives in connecticut and lost his wallet and asked if I could give him $$$. I wasn't sure if could buy into his story, and didn't give him anything. After a few days he stopped me again and told the same story but, in the mean time, he recognized that he had already run into me some time back and then he disappeared very fast without saying anything else.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I unfortunately do not have any interesting direct experiences to share - but my favorite scam is one that got pulled on two of my friends last year in Bangalore. Basically an auto rickshaw driver will ask you for a "large" bill in exchange for the equivalent in small bills. After the exchange is made, and your head is down counting the wad of cash just handed to you, he quickly hides the large bill you handed him and pulls out another small bill which he now claims you gave him. He then starts berating you for trying to cheat him - and while you stand there bewildered and apologetic, he snatches the cash he gave you and drives away in a huff - and before you realize what just happened, he's lost in a sea of traffic, much richer than before.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Two taxi scams - in Philippines they will generally do anything to avoid putting the meter on, claiming "traffic, rush hour, too far, too close" and then charge at least double what is would have bee n

    In Vietnam, its a lot worse - they will nearly always put the meter on - but I've seen meters run at literally 10x the rate they should have been going! Luckily the diminutive size of SE Asians meant that I didnt hesitate to pay only what I felt was appropriate and brushed them off when/if they tried to grab me :-)

    ReplyDelete